Join us for the 2022 MDF Annual Conference!
September 9th & 10th
Paradise Point, San Diego, CA
About the MDF Annual Conference
MDF invites you to attend the 2022 MDF Annual Conference - sometimes called the “family reunion” - from Friday, September 9th through Saturday, September 10th, 2022, at Paradise Point in San Diego, CA. For those arriving early, we welcome you to join us for a Thursday evening reception.
This year's program includes educational sessions exploring research, drug development, symptom management, and other critical topics for DM families, plus opportunities for formal and informal networking and fun. Click here to find information about our past conferences.
Registration Types & Fees
Community Registration includes access to general sessions, community tracks, most meals, and other activities. Due to limited capacity, only Professional Registrations will grant access to Professional Track sessions.
Registration does NOT include a hotel room. See the Hotel & Room Block section below for information about staying at Paradise Point and find a link to book a room at MDF’s discounted rate.
We encourage all attendees to register early to take advantage of our discounted rates:
- Early Bird ends June 19th.
- Regular Registration ends August 31st.
- Late Registration accepted until September 10th.
For those unable to attend in-person, we welcome you to join us virtually! Please note that not all sessions will be recorded or made available to virtual attendees. Information on virtual and recorded sessions coming soon.
MDF is pleased to announce two opportunities to request financial support to attend the conference in person this year.
- MDF Scholarships. New this year, MDF Scholarships are available for a few individuals living with DM and a caregiver who demonstrate financial need and have never attended an in-person MDF conference before. These scholarships will cover conference registration fees, three nights at the hotel, and a portion of your travel expenses (e.g., transportation). Applications close Wednesday, May 25th. For details and to apply, click here!
- JOA Ambassadors. The Cohen Family Trust and AHLIFE, through the 2022 Ambassador Scholarship Program, have collaborated with the Myotonic Dystrophy Foundation (MDF) to help defray some expenses to attend the 2022 Annual Conference. JOA Ambassador Scholarships will reimburse some of the conference registration fee and hotel expenses. Applicants must be juvenile-onset adults (JOA) or have a congenital myotonic dystrophy (CDM) diagnosis. The application must be completed and received by midnight, Monday July 18, 2022 for the applicant to be considered by the Scholarship Committee. Click here for more information and to apply!
The program includes general sessions, educational tracks, most meals, and other activities. General sessions are held in the main ballroom and are for all attendees.
- Welcome & State of the Foundation.
- Industry Updates.
- Stories of Inspiration & Awards.
There will be five tracks tailored to different audiences within the DM community.
- DM1 – for individuals & families living with DM1.
- DM2 – for individuals & families living with DM2.
- Caregivers & Self-care - for caregivers and anyone living with any type of DM.
- JOA – for juvenile-onset adults (JOAs) only. Parents and family members are invited to attend another track.
- Professionals – for clinicians, researchers, industry, and other DM professionals. This track is only accessible to Professional Registration ticket holders.
Track session details and speaker information coming soon!
New to the MDF Annual Conference? MDF offers a First Timers' Tea for first-time attendees early Friday morning. MDF will partner interested first time attendees with MDF Board members, Support Group Facilitators, and others who have attended many MDF Annual Conferences to help ensure that your first experience is a complete success.
During Conference Registration you will be asked about your plans to attend certain receptions and meals to help MDF and Paradise Point tailor meals to any dietary requirements and anticipate how much food is needed. All in-person registrations include the following meals:
- Thursday evening reception (hors d’oeuvres & beverages).
- Friday breakfast.
- Friday lunch.
- Friday evening reception (hors d’oeuvres & beverages).
- Saturday breakfast.
- Saturday lunch.
- Saturday dinner.
- Some break time snacks & coffee/tea are also included.
Research Poster Session
Sharing the latest research is a key feature of the MDF Annual Conference. Poster presentations illustrating research projects are displayed throughout the conference and the Friday evening reception will provide attendees unopposed time to view them. MDF urges academic, government, nonprofit, and industry researchers to submit abstracts to this unique event.
The Myotonic Dystrophy Foundation (MDF) is pleased to announce its call for abstracts for poster presentations of research related to myotonic dystrophy (DM) to showcase at the 2022 MDF Annual Conference.
This opportunity is specifically for doctoral students and postdoctoral researchers working on research of any type of DM, as well as representatives of companies and researchers developing therapies for DM. Poster displays are expected to be self-explanatory, concise, and visually appealing.
MDF is thrilled to make this opportunity available at this year’s conference in two formats:
- Hybrid—an opportunity for presenters to share their posters with in-person conference attendees, including other researchers, clinicians, individuals with DM, and their families AND a virtual “booth” for presenters to display their posters for attendees.
- Virtual— a virtual poster to present research findings for conference attendees.
Submissions for the MDF Annual Conference Poster session are to be submitted to Dr. Nadine Skinner, MDF Research Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org), by July 1, 2022, 5:00pm PST.
Hotel & Room Block
Voted among the top 20 resorts in Southern California, Paradise Point hosts the 2022 MDF Annual Conference! Located in sunny San Diego, California, Paradise Point is on a 44-acre island tucked away in gentle Mission Bay, minutes from the heart of downtown San Diego. Paradise Point offers a secluded island escape with all the comforts of a top hotel. Click Here for Resort Amenities.
The significantly discounted room block will fill up quickly, so reserve your room as soon as possible to secure the best rates! MDF has secured a special group discounted rate at Paradise Point Resort starting at $229 USD per night. Maximum guest capacity for each room may depend on room type selected. To receive the group rate, please book by Monday, August 8th.
You may also book your room anytime by calling the Reservations department at 855-463-3361 and referencing the “Myotonic Dystrophy Conference” or "MDF Conference" room block.
Registering for the conference does not reserve your hotel room.
Interested in other accessible options in the area? Find more choices at AccessibleGo.
Transportation & Childcare
2022 MDF Annual Conference attendees traveling by plane will arrive in San Diego at the San Diego International Airport (SAN). Visitors seeking transportation to Paradise Point have a variety of options, including taxi service, ride-sharing apps, and public transportation. Conference attendees are responsible for making their own airfare and transportation arrangements to and from the hotel. MDF cannot reimburse travel, hotel accommodations, or parking expenses for Conference participants.
Childcare is not provided by MDF at the Conference. Please make all necessary arrangements before you arrive so that you can take advantage of all that the Conference has to offer. You may consider contacting Care.com for information on local caregivers and availability.
Registration Cancellation & Refund
We understand that circumstances can change. MDF contracts for conference presenters, travel, and hotel services nine to twelve months in advance, and adjusts those contracts based on registrations. We are therefore unable to process registration cancellations made after Tuesday, August 19, 2022. Hotel room cancellations must be made directly with the hotel.
Check back for the latest program and speaker updates as they becomes available. If you have registration questions or need assistance with registration, contact MDF at 415-800-7777 or by email at email@example.com.
Thank You to Our Conference Sponsors